Combatives e Krav Maga: sono la stessa cosa?

• 9 Replies

Offline The Spartan

• Respect: +11560
  • Pratico: Master at arms
Combatives e Krav Maga: sono la stessa cosa?
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:57:25 pm »
+3
Posto in lingua originale (ma resto aperto a traduzioni varie nel caso servisse...) un articolo di Jon Mackey, istruttore irlandese vicino a Morrison, che offre alcuni spunti interessanti e anche abbastanza onesti per inquadrare meglio i due "sistemi".
Va da sè che personalmente nn trovo tutte le contraddizioni di cui parla lui ma comprendo il peso dell'elemento umano, che vale ovviamente nn solo per il KM... :thsit:

As an instructor that teaches reality based combative principles this is a question that I get asked quite often. It's an interesting question but it immediately exposes the askers misunderstanding of the term "Combatives".

While the term Combatives of late has become a popular buzz word quite often attached to clubs and associations teaching self defence, it is not actually a system of self defence, it's not actually a system of anything. The term is primarily a concept. Combatives today has come to be known as anything that is combatively effective within a violent altercation. So when I hear the question,"Are Combatives and Krav Maga the same" I ask the person to rephrase the question - "is Krav Maga combatively effective?".

Krav Maga is a popular system of teaching self defence. According to some sources on the WWW:

"Krav Maga is a non-competitive self defence system developed in Israel. Krav Maga is known for its focus on real-world situations and extremely efficient and brutal counter attacks.  It was derived from street fighting skills developed by Slovak/Israeli martial artist Imi Lichtenfeld, who made use of his training as a boxer and wrestler, as a means of defending the Jewish quarter against fascist groups"

There is no doubt when Krav Maga was established in the mid to late 1930's it was
a combatively effective method of counter violence no different to what Lt Col. WE Fairbairn and Major EA Sykes were teaching to the Shangai Municipal Police force around the same time.
Fast forward to present day and in many cases Krav Maga has lost it's combative core which has been replaced with a self defence system that appeals to the masses. Anyone that trains combatively knows that it's student base is small due to the nature of it's counter violent methods and the fact that it prepares the student for worst case scenario, Krav Maga on the other hand has become a popular multi million euro/pound label. The Krav classes that I have personally witnessed were really nothing more than reactionary training drills, kicking testicles and block and trap drills carried out by students in black training outfits, similar to many traditional systems.

However, and before I get my ass kicked by the many KM guys out there worth their salt, relax I'm getting to the next point!
There are many great Krav instructors who are teaching Krav Maga with combative functionality, therefore making their KM combative. I've had the pleasure of sharing the floor with some of the top KM guys in Britain, including Dave Stephens who is the former IKMF British director and a current member of the KM Continental Instructor Team for Europe. Dave is also an apprentice instructor under Lee Morrison who teaches pure combative principles through UC Global. Another name that springs to mind is the great Branimir Tudjan from the Netherlands. Branimir is one of the top Combative guys on the circuit today, his Krav Maga is brutally effective and has combative functionality throughout what he does. Branimir and Lee are the two top selling Combative instructors at Paladin only second to the legendary Kelly McCann of the US.

'Combatives' is devoid of a systematic structure and is a collection of counter violent concepts married together to create a method of dealing with real time violence. If Krav Maga or any other 'system' for that matter is devoid of Combative functionality, what does it need to become more streamlined for reality?

Krav in the majority is a reactionary skill based system. Anything that promotes reactionary or defensive skill sets will in real terms struggle to deal with some fuckball who wants to take you away from the ones you love, as opposed to a proactive or preemptive violent principle that endeavours to turn the so-called fuckball into a shit stain on the roadside via nasty methods of deception and blunt force trauma delivered to the cranium with a vicious caveman mentality. Krav Maga in my experience lacks pre-emptiveness, again that's not to say some KM schools don't teach it as a realistic workable solution. I know Dave Stephens does.

Apart from the now popular soft skills incorporating pre and post conflict stages, Krav in my experiences has never addressed the psychology of violence. In fact even the term 'psychology of violence' has become a buzz word for many new 'reality based systems' with many new instructors teaching what they believe to be predatory behaviour as text book pre-conflict ques or "what to look out for in an attacker" for example. The psychology of violence is much more than screaming obscenities at some unfortunate student as they witness the text book violent displays of a would be 'attacker'.
The psychology of violence has taken a new level. The study of violent intent is the method of understanding sociopathic predators. Ann Salters the author of Predators and Robert D Hare the author of Without Conscious have led the way with their academic study of such human beings. Kelly McCann, Lee Morrison and Branimir Tudjan are leading the way when it comes to cultivating violent intent as a means to deal with such creatures in a physical sense should they cross your path. This element of training for reality is missing in many KM schools, which again is in my experience.

Genuinely, this piece has not been intended as a KM bashing exercise, you could in fact insert any system based self defence art into this article. What I wanted to address was the fundamental differences in two very different approaches, one being a system the other addressing methods based on principles. One being a skill set the other being small in skill and large on mentality. One being reactionary the other being proactive, one teaching you to beat an attacker, the other cultivating predatory disposition in it's students, one addressing the 'attacker' in front of you the other addressing violence in all it's form as study of violent human behaviour.

Like anything here on this blog, they are the ramblings of my own internal dialogue and my own opinions based on my experiences. So to answer the question, is Krav Maga combatively effective?
The answer is simple, it depends on the instructor.
YOU WANT SOME?COME GET SOME!
www.spartan-academy.jimdo.com

RISE TO THE CHALLENGE!

"Ho tutto il giorno libero!"

The Guy - P.K. & Chris...rustici compari.

Offline Rev. Madhatter

• Perchè pratichi?
  • Respect: +6900
  • Pratico: CACC, but still Muay Thai inside.
Re:Combatives e Krav Maga: sono la stessa cosa?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 16:39:59 pm »
Molto bello!

"Krav Maga is a popular system of teaching self defence."

Anche da come parla si capisce che vede lontano, l'autodifesa e' una, esistono vari sistemi per insegnarla.

Condivisibile anche il discorso generale sull'atteggiamento mentale, anche se secondo me bisogna sempre chiedersi se sia necessario "acquisire[1] dimestichezza"  con la violenza e addirittura le strutture mentali di un sociopatico. Non credo che a tutti convenga o interessi finire a pensare "da predatori" (che spesso coincide, sopratutto negli individui che meno hanno a che fare con la violenza reale, a paranoie e una vita tutt'altro che rilassata).

Invece purtroppo e' vero che molti corsi di km sono diventati tradizionali...
 1. o far acquisire a un proprio studente
Peccato che la stupidità non sia dolorosa.
(A. S. LaVey )

il test d'ingresso funziona così
"ISCRIVITI GRATIS
va bene
SONO CENTO €
ma avevate detto gratis
SONO PER LE SPESE DI SEGRETERIA ..."

se ti lamenti, non sei adatto ad essere munto, altrimenti cerimonia del the in arrivo e tutti col collo gonfio ad accoglierti

Offline The Spartan

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 19:21:47 pm »
L'articolo ha varie sfaccettature e si presta a fraintendimenti...
Assolutamente vero che chi insegna KM e simili seriamente deve essere un dito al culo con sabbia per quelli che vogliono annacquarlo...
Come è vero il discorso dell'elemento personale...ma se penso ad alcuni istruttori nostrani, nn credo che basti dire di fare Combatives x trasformarsi in simil Morrison...
Falso è invece, ma lui ha l'onestà di riferirsi a un'esperienza personale e ridotta, il punto in cui si parla di sistema solamente reattivo...primo perchè nn è così e secondo perchè anche nel Combatives (leggevo proprio oggi una spiegazione di un altro noto istruttore britannico) ci sono tanti elementi di reazione...e va da sè che in certi paesi la facilità di reazione preventiva (fermo restando l'assetto mentale al dunque...) nn è molto incentivata.
Sul discorso della mentalità io sono per vie di mezzo ed eviterei derive borderline, ma l'acquisizione di un determinato atteggiamento e di un certo modus operandi credo sia un obiettivo minimo che, da un certo punto di vista, è figlio dell'allenamento un pò come capita con quelli che frequentano a lungo certe discipline...dove se nn scappi, ti plasmano.

RISE TO THE CHALLENGE!

Wa No Seishin

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 19:36:36 pm »
Come è vero il discorso dell'elemento personale...ma se penso ad alcuni istruttori nostrani, nn credo che basti dire di fare Combatives x trasformarsi in simil Morrison...

Ma soprattutto, certi istruttori nostrani che dicono di fare Combatives, dove, quando, come e con chi avrebbero studiato?

Offline Gargoyle

• Deo Vindice
  • Respect: +8012
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 19:54:49 pm »
Scusa John, sai che non me la cavo con l'inglese, ma mi ha incuriosito questo tuo commento:
Falso è invece, ma lui ha l'onestà di riferirsi a un'esperienza personale e ridotta, il punto in cui si parla di sistema solamente reattivo...
Cosa si dice nell'articolo a questo proposito?
Improvvisare, adattarsi e raggiungere lo scopo.

Offline The Spartan

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 20:03:49 pm »
The Krav classes that I have personally witnessed were really nothing more than reactionary training drills, kicking testicles and block and trap drills carried out by students in black training outfits, similar to many traditional systems.
Krav in the majority is a reactionary skill based system. Anything that promotes reactionary or defensive skill sets will in real terms struggle to deal with some fuckball who wants to take you away from the ones you love, as opposed to a proactive or preemptive violent principle that endeavours to turn the so-called fuckball into a shit stain on the roadside via nasty methods of deception and blunt force trauma delivered to the cranium with a vicious caveman mentality. Krav Maga in my experience lacks pre-emptiveness, again that's not to say some KM schools don't teach it as a realistic workable solution. I know Dave Stephens does.
Apart from the now popular soft skills incorporating pre and post conflict stages, Krav in my experiences has never addressed the psychology of violence

Le lezioni a cui ho assistito erano nulla più che drill di reazione, calci alle palle e drill di blocchi e trap fatti in maniera simile a molti sistemi tradizionali.
Il KM è principalmente un sistema basato su capacità di reazione. E tutto ciò che si basa su capacità difensive o di reazione e basta avrà difficoltà in situazioni in cui uno fuori di testa vuole fare fuori voi o i vostri cari, a differenza di un sistema fondato su un principo di violenza proattiva (?) o preventiva che spacca er culo a tutti e bla bla bla...
Per la mia esperienza il KM manca di questa preventività, anche se qualcuno lo insegna...
Poi a parte le ormai popolari tecniche morbide riguardanti pre e post conflitto, il KM, nella mia esperienza, nn si è mai occupato della psicologia della violenza...

Per me si può forse parlare di preponderanza e/o motivo costante e aprire un capitolo su fino a che punto convenga o meno, ma dire che manchino certe cose nn è vero.

RISE TO THE CHALLENGE!

Offline Gargoyle

• Deo Vindice
  • Respect: +8012
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 20:06:27 pm »
Chiaramente concordo con te John, lo sai e grazie della traduzione  :)
Improvvisare, adattarsi e raggiungere lo scopo.

Offline The Spartan

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 20:22:19 pm »
Prego.
Ma l'articolo è cmq onesto pur nella sua comprensibile partigianeria.
Dal mio punto di vista le due scuole di pensiero hanno dei punti di forza a cui entrambe devono attingere (forse per me nel CKM la cosa è magari più "evidente") per aspirare al meglio, poi ognuno trova il suo vestito adatto...

RISE TO THE CHALLENGE!

Offline Diego

• Respect: +362
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 20:27:04 pm »
A me ha fatto un po' sorridere l'uso del termine combative per associarlo all'idea combatively effective, vedendo io il termine comunemente  associabile meglio (forse per mia scarsa padronanza della lingua albionica) ai mezzi d'origine, attraverso i reduci e veterani, per l'elaborazione dei sistemi.

Per quanto condivisibile come intenzione, il combatively effective mi è apparso invece come un dejavu di slogan già sentito, da più parti e in discipline molto differenti in passato (anche al limite del credibile in un caso in cui l'ho sentito dire live),  “ se funziona  lo integriamo nel nostro programma/sistema”.

L'articolo mi ha ricordato in effetti "il partigiano Johnny" (film girato tra l'altro a tratti dalle mie parti).  :)

Offline The Spartan

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 20:55:04 pm »
A livello di gossip cmq Tudjman, uno di quelli citati positivamente, nn è che sia proprio apprezzatissimo nella galassia KM...nn per niente lo abbiamo anche ospitato nel nostro L'angolo del perchè... :gh:

RISE TO THE CHALLENGE!